In case you didn’t know, I am crazy for risotto. It’s every gluten-free person’s best friend and very vegan-friendly AT THE SAME TIME!!! I think risotto is one of those things that’s really easy to make while sounding really impressive. While this recipe wasn’t quite as rich and creamy as risottos with rice are, it was REALLY delicious and it’s a lot lighter!
So I sort of based this recipe on other risotto recipes I’ve tried!
1 head of cauliflower
1 grated sweet onion
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup white wine (optional)
1/2 cup vegetable stock
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup peas
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 cup pine nuts (ground in food processor)
2 tbsp vegan butter
2 tbsp lemon juice
Salt + pepper to taste
1. Place the cauliflower florets in the food processor and pulse until it has a rice-like consistency. Set aside.
2. In a small sauce pan, saute mushrooms and peas with a tsp of olive oil for 10 minutes or so. Set aside.
3. In a large sauce pan, saute the shredded onion and minced garlic until the onion is translucent
4. Add the cauliflower rice and wine. Simmer until wine is evaporated, then add the vegetable stock. Cook until most of the liquid is cooked off and the “rice” is soft and hot (5-7 minutes).
5. Take off the heat, stir in the ground up pine nuts, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, vegan butter, peas and mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste.
If you’re curious about cauliflower rice, please try it, it’s something that’s quickly become a staple in my cooking. It takes on the flavor of what it’s cooked with even better than rice and most other grains! Yum!!